Love brioche? Love bread pudding? Love combining things? If the answer to all three of those is a resounding “YES”, then we’ve got the perfect dessert for you.
After watching how many calories went into the bread, I knew we were getting into trouble making a dessert with the leftovers. If you want to maintain your current pant size, I suggest this recipe only be consumed once every two years. Those words of advice aside, I have to say that you will not be able to stop yourself at just one slice of this dessert. If it’s warm from the oven, you may as well just do yourself a favor and skip dinner, then toss an extra slice on your plate along with a multi-vitamin, so your night isn’t totally devoid of nutrients.
This dish is a bit time-consuming, but not due to the amount of work. The toasting and soaking time of the bread cubes ensures that you won’t just casually pop this bad boy into the oven, enabling weekly BBP dosages. Feel free to try the dish as its listed in its original form, but if you’re feeling wild, these few tweaks make it extra mouth-watering:
- Sub whole milk for coconut milk
- Sub Frangelica for bourbon
- Increase the volume of the vanilla extract to one tbsp
- Increase to volume of the almond extract to a half tbsp
- Add a half cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and a half cup bittersweet chocolate chips to the baking pan (sprinkle over the soaked bread cubes just before baking to layer evenly)
- Add 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon to the breadcrumb topping
- Add 1/8 tsp ground cloves to the breadcrumb topping