Craving a classic sandwich? Visiting the deli for your tuna salad will do in a pinch, but with twenty minutes and a few ingredients, you can make an outta-this-world version yourself.
- Soft boil three eggs.
- While the eggs are cooking, dice a quarter cup of purple onion.
- Rough chop an eight of a cup of capers, more if you like that briny flavor.
- Open two cans of tuna packed in olive oil, and empty them into a large bowl. If you’re feeling really fancy, grill a fresh tuna steak, and gently shred.
- Add two TSPs of crushed black pepper, and two TBSPs of Dijon mustard.
- Remove your soft-boiled eggs from the water, then rinse and peel them before adding to your bowl.
- Smash the eggs with the back of your fork, and watch those delicious yolks coat your ingredients.
- Drain and rinse a can of white beans, and add to your bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon half into the bowl.
- Vigorously stir all ingredients until combined, then drizzle a TBSP of olive oil over the mixture before giving it one final stir.
- Toast your bread or prepare your greens, and spoon a few scoops of your gourmet salad on top.
- If you have it, top with a sprinkle of Maldon salt for more zip in each bite.
This recipe makes four generous portions, and takes on a new dimension of flavors after overnight refrigeration. Make this and grab a bottle of wine, a baguette, and the one you love for an easy picnic in the park this weekend. Happy eating!